Thursday, June 30, 2011

It's All Love


Nanana, i'ts all love...ohh. You are reading. Yeah, this is absolutely my favorite Hip-Hop record to date. As I heard it the first time, it totally blew me away. I heard stuff from the Fellowship before but this one was totally different cause of it's 80's style flair and of course Mikah 9 flowing over it in a soulful way. Additionally, he lays down some really dope lines. Especially on "Rise and shine" there is a part where it is hard to tell when he is taking a breath. But not only Mikah's skills shine on this album. It's also the production of Joseph Leimberg. This cat is so fucking talented, he is able to give Mikah a platform that is on the same level and allows him to flow freely and show his love for Hip-Hop.
Not long ago I found out that this album was also meant to be released on Capitul Recordings back in da day, when Acey let's them balls bouncing. And I can't really understand why they didn't push the album. Probably it was too far ahead of all the other stuff from '95 or they weren't able to realize what they held in their hands. Nah, I don't really want to think about it any longer. Fact is, there have been multiple versions of this album. First there was the Pure HipHop Inc version. The sound quality isn't best but it seems to be the most complete version. You can hear that a lot of them tracks haven't been finished completely. Some tracks end abruptly but "Rise and Shine" goes about 1 minute longer if you forget the intro to the track that was added on the other versions. I don't really understand why they took off the rest it really sounds better with the long ending in my opinion. The Pure HipHop Inc version also has 2 versions of "Come Up Off Of My Love", one produced by Joseph Leimberg and the other one produced by Fat Jack. You can only find "Homegirl" on this version while you can find the track "On the line" only on the other ones. The following version was from Mary Joy Recordings from 2001 while the other one followed in 2002 on Basement Records. That's were the re-mastering came from. Last but not least there is also an EP out there from the former Swedish record store 24/7 Records which followed in 2003.

12 comments:

no one no where said...

It's a phenomenal record - I didn't know it was as old as '95! I also didn't realize there was a difference between Pure Hip Hop's and Bassment's releases. I'll have to check out "on the line", plus the remastering.

To add to the list of versions: Mikah used to sell It's All Love as a cdr without a cover or anything at P-Blowed. I think it was the same as the Pure Hip Hop version minus the fat jack remix. A had a copy but I lost it years ago... lame.

meeee said...

I can remember that I once read or heard that Mikah9 had 2 contracts with Capitul. But there wasn't any hint what was the result. I think he probably mentioned it on Good Life Love. And later I found this interview:
http://www.hiphopcore.net/interviews/124%7Ceng-myka-9.html

And there it is written.

Kid Voltron said...

I also think this album was way too advanced for a 1995,it's quite mature. And this is my favorite Mikah offering of all time, an this is what I hoped Mos Def would do but never did, a My Umi says type of album where he just explores singing. If any of you guys have'nt seen the This Is The Life: How The West Was One DVD please cop it, it deserves to lie in the core of the collection.

And MAAAD PROPS to you Meeee for an excellent blog!

Cypherwars (MightyVibes)

meeee said...

Hi and thanks for the props. Indeed the Good Life Love Documentation is highly recommendable.
While you mention Mos Def I also had to think about the track "Climb" that's pretty good, too. It reminds me of 2 tracks with Mikah9, one called "Lost for days" together with KoKo, which he recorded during the Citrus Sessions and the other one called "Moments" which is on the unofficial released Alien Nation album "Millenium". You can find the Alien Nation album on this blog and I will post up the Citrus Sessions album plus some extra tracks next.

Kid Voltron said...

Much appreaciated, I will check out the Alien Nation album you've mentioned, you wouldn't have the S.I.N album by the way?

meeee said...

I think I have it but I'm not a 100% sure.

Kid Voltron said...

thanks bro!

meeee said...

hmm, i didn't find an album by S.I.N. but some stuff from Feline Science. Are you sure that SIN has an album?

Kid Voltron said...

I'm not sure, I thought there was... but I guess I was wrong, sorry for that, but Feline Science will be immensely appreciated if you can share it. Thanks again Meeee!

meeee said...

You know I'm not sure by myself. Possibly they have an album together, maybe not. I will post something tomorrow, i'm just in a hurry. See ya.

Anonymous said...

In case you haven't heard man, this news made my day
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mykology/id466364845

hope the link works for you

Peace,

treidoiunu

meeee said...

Hey Trei,

that's really cool you are right. But I also hope that there will also be a physical release.